db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting server in embedded mode from different JVMs reset connection.
Date Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:39:05 GMT
> I need to support using two or more applications that can reference /MY_DB/.
>
> The Embedded Server Mode should support this:

It is fine to have two or more applications accessing the same DB.

But you need to have exactly one network server.

So, you have two choices:

1) Start a single network server, separately, apart from any of your applications.
Then, each application uses the client driver to access the database.

or

2) Start a single "embedded server", as you have done. But then EVERY OTHER
application that you start uses the client driver to access the database.

In my experience, having a separate Network Server is simpler to understand
and manage. It is clear which process is doing what, and it is simpler to
understand how to start up and shut down the processes. You can arrange to
start the Network Server automatically, using the facilities that your
operating system provides.

The Derby admin guide at http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.6/adminguide/
provides a lot of information about how to organize a client-server application.

thanks,

bryan