db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Florin.Herin...@sungard.com>
Subject AW: AW: does Derby honor the statement.setQueryTimeout(int) ?
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:34:49 GMT
Hi Knut, Lily,

I have created ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4863 and attached a sample
program to reproduce it.

Since in the meantime I was able to circumvent the concrete problem by adding a dedicated
locking mechanism in *our* code, the priority for the ticket is "none" from my point of view.
However, since the problem exists I've created the ticket as you suggested and also attached
code to reproduce.

Best Regards,

Florin

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Knut Anders Hatlen [mailto:knut.hatlen@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2010 20:04
An: derby-user@db.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: does Derby honor the statement.setQueryTimeout(int) ?

Kristian Waagan <kristian.waagan@oracle.com> writes:

>  On 20.10.10 17:38, Florin.Herinean@sungard.com wrote:
>> Hi Kristian,
>>
>> Changing of the global timeout is not an option, since I need to have most of the
statements behave normally (to wait as long as neccessary to succeed) and just a few statements
with a "fail fast" behavior.

> I don't know if it is an option, but maybe it is possible to change
> the lock timeout value (and possibly the deadlock timeout) if the
> query timeout is smaller than the lock timeout value.
> Is doing this acceptable in principle?
> Does anyone know that piece of the code well enough to say if that's a
> viable improvement?

Hi Kristian,

I think this is possible. The lock manager could retrieve information about the query timeout
from the statement context, and then if necessary use that to shorten the lock timeout. It
sounds like a bug that we don't already do that.

Florin, please file a bug report in JIRA so that we can keep track of this problem.

Thanks,

--
Knut Anders