db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <Florin.Herin...@sungard.com>
Subject AW: does Derby honor the statement.setQueryTimeout(int) ?
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:38:11 GMT
Hi Kristian,

Changing of the global timeout is not an option, since I need to have most of the statements
behave normally (to wait as long as neccessary to succeed) and just a few statements with
a "fail fast" behavior.

The concrete problem: I have a kind of a timer that fires events at regular intervals (5 sec)
and I have to perform some actions. It might be possible under certain circumstances that
the performing of the actions take (much) longer than the fixed rate of the timer, so that
the next events are fired before the long running one is finished. However, if the actions
are involving the same sets of rows, I want that the overlapping ones to fail fast and roll
back the transaction.

Now because Derby is waiting indefinitely, this scenario (events are comming via jms messages)
will lead to the consumming of all available database connections, since for each jms message
a new thread/transaction is created and implicitely a new connection.

Regards,

Florin

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Kristian Waagan [mailto:kristian.waagan@oracle.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2010 17:24
An: derby-user@db.apache.org
Betreff: Re: does Derby honor the statement.setQueryTimeout(int) ?

  On 20.10.10 17:16, Florin.Herinean@sungard.com wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm using Derby latest 10.6.2.1 and I'm having a problem with
> statement.setQueryTimeout(int).
>
> Namely I want to set a small value for the timeout (5 seconds) so that
> the statement (an update statement) will fail (relatively) fast if
> some other transaction is holding a write lock on the same row.
>
> The problem is that setQueryTimeout seems to be ignored, and the
> update is waiting until the global timeout - 60+ seconds.
>
> Is that a known problem with Derby ? Or am I doing something wrong ?

Hi Florian,

I'm not sure, but if Derby is waiting for a lock, it may not honor the query timeout.
If the statement is doing "normal processing", the query timeout should take effect. If your
application code is set up correctly for retrying, is it an option to lower the lock timeout
as well?

Regards,
--
Kristian