db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Uriah Eisenstein <uriaheisenst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are generated columns stored in the DB or calculated on the fly?
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 15:32:36 GMT
Hi Knut,
Thanks for your answer. May I suggest that this be added to the
documentation of generated columns?
I think support for virtual columns, as they're indeed called in some other
DBs, would really be nice though. For instance, Java Enums fit nicely as a
UDT, but indexing on them (or even simple comparisons) would require a
separate column with the ordinal integer value or the name string; in the
latter case, the space requirement is rather superfluous relatively to that
of the enum value itself. It seems to me this could be used as a partial
solution at least to expression-based indexes
(Derby-455<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-455>),
by requiring indexes on simple columns which may be virtual, or implementing
the index by defining a hidden virtual column, or something of the kind. Do
you know if there's any Derby improvement suggestion in that direction? (I
havent'found any).
Regards,
Uriah Eisenstein