db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Uriah Eisenstein <uriaheisenst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are generated columns stored in the DB or calculated on the fly?
Date Sat, 04 Sep 2010 16:16:41 GMT
OK, filed the generated columns documentation issue in JIRA (Derby-4790).
Possibilities like taking advantage of Comparable java UDTs crossed my mind
too, but I didn't dare suggest it :) I'm playing around with Derby and JDBC
at home currently, and have little knowledge about the actual implementation
of a DB back-end - as well as no access to the SQL standard. I don't know
what these would say about casting UDTs into strings, for instance -
something which should be possible for any Java type using its toString()
method.
Similarly, I don't know if virtual columns have any standard syntax; I only
saw that some DBs define them simply by "AS <expression>" following the
common column definition. Because of that I'd rather not file an improvement
suggestion, unless you think I should despite the missing information.
Regards,
Uriah Eisenstein