db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject "Database not found" errors
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:32:31 GMT
Certain people, on certain machines, keep getting the exception "Database
not found."  The same database previously was successfully opened and then
shut down.  The shut down happens on a different thread, but I actually have
written a class that serializes access to the database so that no other
thread can open a connection to a database while it is being shut down.

I looked through the EmbedConnection code, and this situation can happen
when the database object is null.  This apparently can only occur if the
shutdown property is set to true (it is not), or if the createDatabase()
method returns null.

createDatabase() calls Monitor.createPersistentService(), and at this point
things get really hairy.  Can anyone please point me to the code where we
actually try to create the Database object and where it would return null?
The Monitor framework is one nasty piece of work...

Thanks,

David

--
David W. Van Couvering