db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@Oracle.COM>
Subject Re: "Can't find database"
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:48:20 GMT
On 09.08.10 23:55, David Van Couvering wrote:
> I am getting these intermittent errors that I can't reproduce on my
> machine:
>
> Database 'C:\VontuDev\main\dist\scan\incremental_index/MONITOR/INCREMENTAL_INFO' not
found

> I read the docs, and there is no discussion about whether a mixed "\"
> "/" path is a problem on some systems.  Could it be?  Do I need to
> normalize the path to all forward slashes?

Hi David,

I guess there can be problems related to mixing different path
separators, but testing on OpenSolaris does suggest that the monitor and
the in-memory back end are capable of handling it:

java -Dderby.system.home="C:\VontuDev\main\dist\scan\incremental_index"
-cp classes org.apache.derby.tools.ij
ij version 10.7
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:MONITOR/INCREMENTAL_INFO;create=true';
ij>

Then, from derby.log:
memory:/home/user/derby/wdir/trunk-netbeans/C:\VontuDev\main\dist\scan\incremental_index/MONITOR/INCREMENTAL_INFO

However, trying this with an on-disk database fails. My guess is because
I'm on UNIX, and then the colon from c:\ shows up in a place it's not
supposed to be.
In general, I think your mileage depends on what java.io.File is capable
of, but there might be problems in the explicit path handling within Derby.

Do you get an assert failure if you run with a sane build when you try
to boot the database?

Regards,
--
Kristian