db-derby-user mailing list archives

From vadali <shlomivak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: backing up the DB
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:20:28 GMT

Hi Kristian, Thank you for your reply

The db can be off when i back it up. I am unfamiliar with any compress
routines.. any pointers would be helpful.

I dont really mind how the filtering is done (up front or on the backup
copy), i just dont want it to be too long.

my main goal is to burn the directory onto a cd or dvd, but since it can
easily exceed the size of a single media, i tar it, slice it to multiple
files of fixed sizes, and burn each on a different media (quite a lengthly
process..), where later i could reattach the files, untar it, load up a db
onto this folder, and query all i want :)

I am not so sure what a VTI is, or how to write such a script that will do a
sort of a database copy..

sorry for my noobity, i am not mainly a db programmer..

the db can reach a few gb's of space over a certain duration of time, but
usually the user will want to burn much less (say only the data from the
previous day..).

i hope i gave all the information you ment,
thank you for your help,
Vadali