db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Low performance when execute more then 100 inserts
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:17:34 GMT
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 04:01:56PM -0300, Fabricio Pedroso Jorge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Java application that reads a .txt file, validates the informations
> and then executes several inserts into de Derby 10.5 database. The problem is
> that when i have a lot of inserts (more than 1000), the execution of these
> inserts gets slower and slower until it gets unsupportable for the user to
> wait.
>
> I made a test, inserting the same lines of the file into an Oracle 10g
> database, and it worked pretty well.
>
> So, is there any configuration, or otimization on Derby that i can perform to
> make it work???

Hi Fabrício,

It sounds strange that inserting a few thousands lines should be such of
a problem that the database grinds to a halt.

I only have a few general questions, hopefully the answers can give us a
clue of what's going on.

 1. Are you using the embedded or the client/server configuration?
 2. How big is the file being imported?
 3. Is autocommit on, or are you committing at intervals?
 4. Is there a primary/unique key on the table? Any other indexes?
 5. If possible, can you run your application until it slows down badly,
    and then run jstack on the process?
    (could also use visualvm or similar to obtain the stack trace)
 6. Are you running with default Derby and JVM settings?
    (and, can you confirm that it isn't garbage collection that slows
     down the application)

Regards,
--
Kristian