On 7/6/2010 11:09 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:

I  What I am seeing is that the database is growing and it does not seem to be reusing the deleted space.  Should it be?  The records being inserted are exactly the size of the records being deleted.

The known issues in this area are:

For DERBY-4055 a possible workaround is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4055?focusedCommentId=12680196&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12680196
Also synchronizing table access has helped some users.

You can verify if you are seeing DERBY-4055 by running with a SANE build and putting
derby.debug.true=DaemonTrace

in your derby.properties.

All that said, I have heard anecdotal reports that there may be another bug.  If you can come up with a reproduction that is not either of these issues, we would appreciate it.

Thanks

Kathey