db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Database corruption on crash during table creation
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 06:23:45 GMT
Hi, all.  I seem to have a repeatable issue where my database is getting
corrupted, and I can only assume it's happening when the table is getting
created, because I know Derby is great on handling crashes during normal
operation.

First of all - is it true that a Derby database can get corrupted if the VM
goes down in the middle of a DML like CREATE TABLE?

What I'm seeing is that upon restart, when I try to access the database, I
get the error "unable to create database FOO: the directory already
exists."  The directory contains what appears to be a Derby database, but
apparently not enough of one.

What I'm hoping for, is there a "forceCreate=true" kind of option when
opening a database that forces the creation of the database in the given
directory even if something is already there?

Otherwise it appears my only option is to detect this specific error
('directory already exists'), and then blow away what's there and try
again.  That's a chunk of work I'd rather not do, so I'm hoping you've
already addressed it (ahem :)).

Thanks,

David

--