db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ron Rudy <ronchal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attaching a jar file to the database.
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:22:52 GMT
Dinesh,

I'm not sure I entirely understand. The jar file(s) contains the embedded
driver, as well as the code needed to read/write to the database.  You need
to include Derby jar(s) each time you connect to the database in any
scenario (embedded, network, etc.) because it dictates how you communicate.
 In the case of the embedded database it also dictates how the database
itself actually reads/writes data to disk.

The jar is not "attached" to the database in any sense.  It's attached to
the JVM that reads/writes to the database.  You typically use it behind the
JDBC API, but it is using Derby code as its underlying implementation.

I hope this answers your question...

-Ron