db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Database-side programming
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:58:19 GMT
On 18.07.10 18:15, Saleem EDAH-TALLY wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This concerns getting information from 'inside' Derby through JAVA code called
> by a procedure.
>
> The nested connection can be obtained with jdbc:default:connection. However
> the URL attributes cannot be retrieved in any way.

Hi,

Maybe it would help if you tell why you want to do this, so people can
suggest a different mechanism if appropriate?

> conn.getClientInfo() returns an empty Properties object.

Adding support for getClientInfo is briefly discussed in DERBY-3849 [1].
Would it be helpful in your use case?

> conn.getMetaData().getUserName() returns nothing.

Can you obtain the current user name with CURRENT_USER?

> The Derby Developper's Guide states the following :

> Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
>      "jdbc:default:connection");
> URL attributes are not supported as part of this connection URL. Any URL
> attributes specified in a Properties object, user name, or password that are
> passed to a java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection() call will be ignored.
>
> I don't want to specify URL attributes. I wish to know how can one retrieve
> information about these current URL attributes, namely, SSL mode.

I'm not aware of a way to determine if the connection to the database is
encrypted from within a stored procedure.
Doing so seems a bit "out of spec", which is why I asked what you want
to achieve :)

Regards,
--
Kristian