db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Database corruption on crash during table creation
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 06:52:37 GMT
On 06.07.10 08:23, David Van Couvering wrote:
> Hi, all.  I seem to have a repeatable issue where my database is
> getting corrupted, and I can only assume it's happening when the table
> is getting created, because I know Derby is great on handling crashes
> during normal operation.
>
> First of all - is it true that a Derby database can get corrupted if
> the VM goes down in the middle of a DML like CREATE TABLE?
>
> What I'm seeing is that upon restart, when I try to access the
> database, I get the error "unable to create database FOO: the
> directory already exists."  The directory contains what appears to be
> a Derby database, but apparently not enough of one.

Hi David,

It would be great if you can create a Jira and attach the contents of
the database directory (or maybe just the output from find). Including a
runnable repro would be even better :)
Also:
   o Can the issue be reproduced using ij only?
   o Is this reproducible when only a single process is
accessing/modifying the database?

I believe there has been a few reports of the error message you
mentioned, but so far no repro has been available.

Having a forceCreate option requires some thought, it would be
unfortunate if Derby deleted (i.e. misuse or exploit) a bunch of
user/system files. This wouldn't be such a big deal if everyone
tightened the Java security policy for Derby, but I'm not sure that's
the case...

Regards,
--
Kristian