db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Matt Doran <matt.do...@papercut.com>
Subject Re: NPE in BasicSortObserver.getClone() when performing query with "HAVING" clause
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 05:21:38 GMT

On 13/06/2010 3:05 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> On 06/12/10 09:32 AM, Matt Doran wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've just tested this with 10.5.3.0 and it also fails.  This time with a
>> different stack-trace (see below).  This time the NPE is in
>> ColumnReference.remapColumnReferencesToExpressions().    I've also
>> attached the derby log for this crash.
>>
>> Given this looks like a serious bug in the latest release, I've uploaded
>> a zipped copy of the database to a free file sharing site ... you can
>> get it at the link below:
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/file/id0ljd5davj/derby.zip
>>
>>      java.lang.NullPointerException
>>           at
>>

> Hi Matt,
>
> I'm able to reproduce this with 10.6.1.0 and with the latest development
> sources. Please file a bug report at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY so that we don't lose track
> of it.

I've raised an issue and attached all the relevant stuff:

Let me know if there's any more you need.

I'm very curious to know the cause of the issue.  It's a such a simple
case that I'm surprised that this issue is reproducible on 3 major
releases.   I'll be keeping an eye on the issue with interest.  I hope
it can be addresses ASAP.

In the meantime I might need to just implement the "having" filtering in
code .... nasty yes ... but I don't have much choice right now. :)

Thanks,
Matt