db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Chisholm <christopher.chish...@syamsoftware.com>
Subject query works on 10.2, feezes with high CPU on 10.3 and above
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:22:23 GMT
Hello,

I've had derby 10.2.2.0 database backing a java application for some
time now.  The following query has always worked with a fairly large
database in about 6-8 seconds on my machine:

SELECT A.Name, A.Version, A.Vendor, count(*) from Applications A INNER
JOIN ManagedSystems M ON M.ManagedSystem_ID = A.ManagedSystem_ID WHERE
M.Active=1 AND M.ManagedSystem_ID  IN (SELECT DISTINCT(ManagedSystem_ID)
FROM Applications WHERE upper(Name) LIKE '%MICROSOFT%') GROUP BY A.Name,
A.Version, A.Vendor ORDER BY upper(A.Name), upper(A.Version)

I have recently upgraded to a derby 10.5.3.0.  This same query no longer
completes.  Instead, it seems the CPU usage of the process that runs the
query shoots up to 50-80%, and never completes (i've left it for
hours).  Any ideas why?

I am using the same exact database, the same java version, and my code
hasn't changed.  Nothing in the query has changed.

I have the same problem on 10.6.1.0.  I traced it back and found that
even 10.3.3.0 has this problem.

I've been scratching my head on this one for two days, any help would be
greatly appreciated!

-chris