db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: can't delete my DB directory
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:51:45 GMT
On 04.06.10 18:51, oldmhe wrote:
> Prior to exiting, my Java program issues a shutdown, and then tries to delete
> the DB directory (recursively), but is not able to completely delete the
> directory.  Here's the code:
>
> 	try {
> 		DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");
> 	} catch (SQLException eSQLException) {
> 		if (
> 				eSQLException.getErrorCode() == 50000
> 				&&
> 				"XJ015".equals(eSQLException.getSQLState())
> 		   ) {
> 										// successful shutdown
> 		} else
> 			printSQLException(eSQLException);
> 	}
> 	removeDir(new File(dbnmString)); 	// remove DB directory
>
> (removeDir is my own function)
>
> If removeDir() is called before connecting to the DB, it works fine.  But
> the above call to removeDir() only deletes some of the files and directories
> within dbnmString -- as if Derby is still accessing them (or has not closed
> them).
>
> I also tried dropping the DB just before the shutdown code, with the same
> results.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hello,

What operating system are you using?
Are you able to use the operation system's proper tool to check which
process (if any) is hanging on to the file?
(i.e. pfiles or lsof)

Also, do you see the same behavior if you in addition shut down the
database explicitly?
(i.e. 'DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:myDB;shutdown=true");')

Regards,
--
Kristian