db-derby-user mailing list archives

From pb2208 <pete.bea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help with Triggers
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 00:06:10 GMT

Stay with me.  If I understand I would create stored function, such as:

CREATE FUNCTION myFunc ( input )
RETURNS Int
{
LANGUAGE JAVA
 if (input >= 0 && input<10) return 1
 if (input >=10 && input<20) return 2
}

Then I would create a column ColXX with somthinhg like:

 GENERATED ALWAYS AS ( myFunc( ColRawRate) )
Note: 'ColRawRate' is a Decimal(8,7)

Does this look correct?

Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

> pb2208 <pete.beatty@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I understand I can use the generated column.  The real problem is the
>> second
>> scenario where a number must be assigned to one of several range values.
>
> You can still use a generated column, but having the new value be
> generated by a stored function containing the range logic, based on the
> given column.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Dag

-----