I used the same HQL sysntax for mySQL and it worked. Further Derby manuall lists the same syntax for join.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldridge@gmail.com> wrote:
This looks like a Hibernate error, not a Derby error.  I've been using Hibernate 3 with Derby for a few years and never had any issues.  Is this query generated by Hibernate?  It seems like you are using HQL (the error is in org.hibernate.hql.ast.QuerySyntax) , but you are feeding it SQL syntax.  HQL syntax is similar but not equal to SQL.

Brett