db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas <Thomas.K.H...@t-online.de>
Subject SQL authorisation and routine permissions
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 20:29:18 GMT
Hi,

having set-up SQL authorisation I would like to grant data modification rights
(insert, update, delete) to stored procedures only.
I was assuming that granting executing rights on a routine using GRANT EXECUTE
ON PROCEDURE to appl_user (with appl_user being a role) would automatically
grant the right to insert data to any user who can take on this role. So there
is no need to also GRANT INSERT ON TABLE xy TO appl_user. However testing this I
am getting a '<user> does not have INSERT permission on table' error. Does this
mean I have to grant rights on the tables accessed in a procedure on top of
granting execution rights on the procedure for this to work?
I was hoping to grant execution rights on the procedure would be all needed.

I have checked the docs, but haven't found a statement on this (or must habe
overlooked it).

Thanks