db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why derby will be slow down?
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 02:13:24 GMT
> What problem I have is, the application can run for the first time, but
> for the second time, it can not been completed because that derby will
> be very slow.

Do you completely exit and re-start the application between these two runs?

If not, then perhaps the application is not entirely freeing all of its
resources after the first run, and so for the second run there are fewer
resources available and hence it is much slower.

You can use a tool like VisualVM to observe the overall behavior of
your application during the runs, and perhaps that will help you better
characterize the behavior in terms of overall properties such as:
  - memory profile (available and used memory)
  - threading
  - disk usage
  - CPU usage

Can you describe the overall operation which you are trying to time? Is it
just a single SQL statement? Or is it a collection of operations?

Can you share any of the code that is being run?

thanks,

bryan