Are you sure all of the file streams are flushed and closed after the transfer?  Can you check with some tool like 'lsof' on Linux or some tool from SysInternals if Windows?  After shutdown of the embedding VM, all handles would be closed, which might be why ij works after that.  Just a thought.

-Brett