I am using the latest version of Derby with Hibernate and getting the following error when trying to save an image (the exact same code works with MySQL) :

[7613120@qtp0-8] ERROR util.JDBCExceptionReporter  -

A truncation error was encountered trying to shrink VARCHARTA 'XX-RESOLVE-XX' to length 255.

I have read that this is a known bug but I don't seem to be able to find how it was resolved or how to work around it in my code.

I have a domain object with

byte[] headShot

static constraints = {
    headShot(nullable: true , maxSize:2097152 )
}

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to have to abandon Derby.

Thanks in advance,
Doug