db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject CREATE TABLE not thread safe on Linux?
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:00:07 GMT
Hi, all.  Don't ask me why, but I have a stress test that launches 100
simultaneous threads, all of which grab their own connection pool, and send
a CREATE TABLE command to the same Derby database.  It ignores exceptions
saying the table is already created.

This works find on Windows.  However, on RHEL, I get a lot of nasties - I
get low-level NullPointerException and "operation interrupted" from nio.
Bad news all around.

I then put a global lock around my create table operation, and voila, works.

I don't currently have the time to put together a formal reproduction, but I
thought I should let  you know, perhaps it's something somebody wants to
check out - it's pretty easy to write up the test case.

David

--
David W. Van Couvering

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidvc