db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Very bad disk space leak in Derby
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:38:15 GMT
Hi, all.

I have a thread that runs the following query every 10 seconds:

SELECT d.ITEMSET_ID, f.FILTER_INDEX, FROM FILTERS f, PENDING_DELIVERIES d
WHERE f.ITEMSET_ID = d.ITEMSET_ID AND f.FILTER_INDEX = d.FILTER_INDEX AND
d.SENT = 0 AND d.SERVER_ID = 1

The FILTERS table has about 200 rows in it, and the PENDING_DELIVERIES table
has no rows.  So this query returns zero rows each time it is run.

My database directory is growing by about *1 MB *! every 30 seconds.

This is the *only* query running.  The number of rows in my tables never
changes.

Inspecting further, the number of dat files under seg0 is continually
growing.  This never stops - a QA person has seen their database directory
grow from 20MB to 5GB!

I tried compressing the table - no change.

I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, and the database initially was back to a few
MB, but then over time it started growing again.

This is *very* disconcerting - basically it makes Derby unusable in
production.  It is not an option for me to stop running this query.

I am hoping you have some suggestions, I am a bit at a loss.

Thanks!

David

--
David W. Van Couvering