db-derby-user mailing list archives

From George H <george....@gmail.com>
Subject can varchar for bit data size limit be exceeded?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 05:27:42 GMT
Hi,

I am using derby 10.5.3.0 and i'm in a situation where sending binary
data as a hex string like  INSET INTO MY_TABLE(SOME_COL)
VALUES(x'2ede42 ......etc') really benefits me. The only problem is
that from what I am reading in the reference guide is that the varchar
for bit data data type is limited to a size of 32,672 bytes. Derby
also does not let me insert hex strings into CLOB or BLOB columns
either which can be much larger.

I've tried doing this with MySQL for example and it allows me to send
hex strings to a blob column. I'm wondering if there is a way to
extend the size limit or to get derby to accept it into a blob. Or is
there really nothing I can do about it

Thanks.
--
George H