db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database restoration not working.
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:31:43 GMT
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Dinesh Bajaj <dinesh.bajaj@ymail.com>wrote:

>   Hi All,
>
> My understanding is that restoring a backedup database should restore it to
> to its original location. If for example, a database is backedup from the
> location c:\one to c:\two, and if it is later restored, then the database
> ought to be restored to the original location, i.e. c:\one. However, I find
> that this is not the case with Derby.
>
> String connectionURL =
> "jdbc:derby:mydbname;restoreFrom=c:/temp/two/mydbname"
>
> On using the above-mentioned connection string, the connection to the
> database is indeed made; however, it is not restored to its original
> location. Where the database is restored, and how I can get it restored to
> its original location?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Dinesh

Hi Dinesh,

As you found, derby does not retain information about the directory
structure around the database, just the internal organization of the
database itself. And the backup/restore doesn't keep that information
either.
Derby processes start from the location where the java process is invoked...
So, to restore to the original position, I'd suggest starting the restore in
the original location.
Or, you can just specify the target directory in the URL, i.e.:
String connectionURL =
"jdbc:derby:c:/temp/one/mydbname;restoreFrom=c:/temp/two/mydbname"
That should make mydbname database get restored to c:/temp/one.

Myrna