db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dinesh Bajaj <dinesh.ba...@ymail.com>
Subject solved : Database restoration not working
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:21:08 GMT
Never mind. I got the answer to my query on reading this excellent article :
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0502thalamati/index.html

The answer is that the desired database location needs to be specified in the database connection
string.

As an aside, I would like to add that there is a dearth of good articles on Derby. It is just
a candid opinion, and I don't intend to offend anyone, particularly those who are involved
with this project.

-Dinesh

--- On Sat, 24/4/10, Dinesh Bajaj <dinesh.bajaj@ymail.com> wrote:

From: Dinesh Bajaj <dinesh.bajaj@ymail.com>
Subject: Database restoration not working.
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Date: Saturday, 24 April, 2010, 8:07 AM

Hi All,

My understanding is that restoring a backedup database should restore it to to its original
location. If for example, a database is backedup from the location c:\one to c:\two, and if
it is later restored, then the database ought to be restored to the original location, i.e.
c:\one. However, I find that this is not the case with Derby.

String connectionURL = "jdbc:derby:mydbname;restoreFrom=c:/temp/two/mydbname"

On using the above-mentioned connection string, the connection to the database is indeed made;
however, it is not restored to its original location. Where the database is restored, and
how I can get it restored to its original location?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dinesh