db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dinesh Bajaj <dinesh.ba...@ymail.com>
Subject Re: Transfer data between tables that are located in different databases
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:21:32 GMT
Bryan,

You are correct as I wanted the source and target tables to be in different databases, and
so the Chris's solution would have not worked for me.

BTW, I used system procedures to export the data from the source table to a file, and then
imported the data from that file to the target table to get the required job done.

The proposed new feature that you referenced will be a welcome addition to the command set
of Derby. :)

-Dinesh

--- On Mon, 26/4/10, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Transfer data between tables that are located in different databases
To: "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Date: Monday, 26 April, 2010, 7:40 PM

>> As it is a lot of data that needs to be transferred between tables, the idea of using
the system procedures to export the data from the source table, and then importing it in the
target table appears to be good one. I will definitely give it a try, and will post the code
here if I encounter any error.

> How about in SQL:
>
> INSERT INTO target SELECT * FROM source;

The tricky part is that the original poster wanted the source and target
tables to be in separate databases, which makes this solution impractical.

However, Derby 10.6's ij tool will contain a new feature DERBY-4550
which will enable uses such as this in the ij tool, I believe.

thanks,

bryan