db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: A truncation error was encountered trying to shrink VARCHARTA 'XX-RESOLVE-XX' to length 255.
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:44:44 GMT
On 04/24/10 17:18, Doug McGavin wrote:
> I am using the latest version of Derby with Hibernate and getting the
> following error when trying to save an image (the exact same code works
> with MySQL) :
>
> [7613120@qtp0-8] ERROR util.JDBCExceptionReporter  -
>
> A truncation error was encountered trying to shrink VARCHARTA
> 'XX-RESOLVE-XX' to length 255.
>
> I have read that this is a known bug but I don't seem to be able to find
> how it was resolved or how to work around it in my code.

Hi Doug,

I think this error means you're trying to insert a string that's longer
than 255 characters into a VARCHAR(255) column. Derby will try to
truncate the string if it has trailing spaces, but the above exception
will be thrown if that's not enough to make it fit in the column.

In Derby 10.5 and later, the error message should show the string you're
trying to insert instead of the rather cryptic string 'XX-RESOLVE-XX'.
(The error message was changed in DERBY-961.)

--
Knut Anders