db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rami Ojares <rami.oja...@pdf-comics.com>
Subject Re: performance: Derby vs H2
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:44:10 GMT
I think the best authority on this is Thomas Mueller (father of h2) who
has actually done some performance comparisons between databases.
I remember reading some debate about this on some discussion groups a
year or two ago.
If you want peer reviewed scientific knowledge then you probably should
run those tests yourself.

I have seen sometimes Sun employees referring on this list to some sort
of benchmarks for derby.
But I have not found anything public from google.

I think the countless benchmarks published by different database
companies have proven that
performance is such a complex issue that any type of result can be
manufactured.
However when done well and extensively they can give some overall
understanding.

Because H2 has only one developer the code is a bit more straightforward
and simpler than Derby that has a rich and long history as a codebase.
Therefore I think that H2 is a tad cleaner and faster than Derby in
basic operation.
Both databases have queries that are very slow.
One could call them bugs.

- rami