db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ronald Rudy <ronchal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.3 Performance
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 16:09:25 GMT

On Apr 9, 2010, at 11:44:47 AM, Kristian Waagan wrote:

>> We've taken to running Derby using the network connector in a separate JVM entirely
running as a daemon/service, which gives a number of benefits including exclusive rights to
memory and the ability to connect to the database on a test or live system and run queries..

> I understand your point about exclusive memory rights. Getting the balance right with
Derby embedded inside the other app(s) can be tricky in some cases.

> Regarding your second point, are you aware of the "embedded server" mode?
> This is where you have your main app connecting to Derby using the embedded driver, and
then you can start up a network server (permanent or temporary) as well. Doing this requires
a little bit of coding, or setting a property when starting the main app (or rather before

> Regards,
> --
> Kristian

Yes, the embedded server mode was an option but I figured since our main application was at
times memory and resource intensive that it would be best to give Derby its own sandbox to
play in :-).. The performance was comparable, since it was always running locally, and most
of our most intensive activities weren't actually centered around the DB itself..

-Ron