db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance: Derby vs H2
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:52:01 GMT
Speed is important, but so is stability.  H2 does not have anywhere
near the track record of Derby. There are hundreds of thousands of
Derby installations running 24/7.  I have used Derby for years, as
have my customers, in mission critical applications and I have never
experienced a corruption or failure.

Unless you are doing something truly advanced Derby is fast enough.
For those other cases, H2 would also be unsuitable.  You would need
something like PostgreSQL or Oracle.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 23, 2010, at 4:44, Rami Ojares <rami.ojares@pdf-comics.com>

> I think the best authority on this is Thomas Mueller (father of h2)
> who has actually done some performance comparisons between databases.
> I remember reading some debate about this on some discussion groups
> a year or two ago.
> If you want peer reviewed scientific knowledge then you probably
> should run those tests yourself.
> I have seen sometimes Sun employees referring on this list to some
> sort of benchmarks for derby.
> But I have not found anything public from google.
> I think the countless benchmarks published by different database
> companies have proven that
> performance is such a complex issue that any type of result can be
> manufactured.
> However when done well and extensively they can give some overall
> understanding.
> Because H2 has only one developer the code is a bit more
> straightforward and simpler than Derby that has a rich and long
> history as a codebase.
> Therefore I think that H2 is a tad cleaner and faster than Derby in
> basic operation.
> Both databases have queries that are very slow.
> One could call them bugs.
> - rami
> On 22.4.2010 19:47, Rayson Ho wrote:
>> Is it really true that H2 is faster than Derby??
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Derby
>> A year ago, I tried to remove the section that says that H2 is
>> faster,
>> but someone always added it back into the article. And besides me,
>> seems like no one really care about the "Comparison to other embedded
>> SQL Java databases" section.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Apache_Derby#Benchmarks
>> Is it a well-known fact that H2 is always faster??
>> And there is also H2's benchmark page:
>> http://www.h2database.com/html/performance.html
>> Is it a fair comparsion??
>> Rayson