Once again, Rick, thanks for your prompt response. To answer your questions:

(1) The compilation errors initially had to do with the SanityManager and ContextId not available in prod jars.

(2) Since I am trying to get this code to work in our application, using debug jars may not be desirable.
More over, our app is using Derby's in-memory tables as well as its NetworkServerController.
So, this parsing/tree-walking code should not conflict with the other two uses.

In the comments for DERBY-791, I did notice "We should provide some mechanism for printing these trees in production (non-debug) servers".
So, I ran XmlTreeWalker linking only to db-derby-10.5.3.0-bin/lib/derby.jar, but got the same exception:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<queryTree>
    <queryText>select a from t, s where t.a = s.a</queryText>
Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement20.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement30.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement40.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.newEmbedPreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)
        at XmlTreeWalker.execute(XmlTreeWalker.java:130)
        at XmlTreeWalker.main(XmlTreeWalker.java:111)
        at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:110)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
        ... 20 more
Caused by: ERROR 42X05: Table/View 'T' does not exist.
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromBaseTable.bindTableDescriptor(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromBaseTable.bindNonVTITables(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.FromList.bindTables(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.SelectNode.bindNonVTITables(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bindTables(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.DMLStatementNode.bind(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.CursorNode.bindStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepMinion(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepare(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.prepareInternalStatement(Unknown Source)
        ... 14 more

Regards,
Pavel.

Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Richard.Hillegas@Sun.COM

03/09/2010 11:22 AM
Please respond to
"Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Extracting dependencies from SQL statements

Hi Pavel,

These programs should be run using the Derby debug jars. I have edited
the introductory comment to try to make this clear. The debug logic must
be compiled into Derby in order for compilation to stop after parsing.
If you need a solution which runs against the production jars, take a
look at the related issue DERBY-791.

Hope this helps,
-Rick