db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: HDFS?
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:54:09 GMT
geoffrey hendrey <geoff.hendrey@gmail.com> writes:

> It could be interesting to have the roll-forward replication logs written to
> HDFS where they will be automatically replicated, then the Derby slave can
> read the roll-forward log out of HDFS. Storage of backups is another place

Data point: the current Derby replication works by sending the log
records to a slave already, but currently only to one
slave. Unfortunately, the Derby slave cannot yet even field read-only
queries (since technically it is in a recovery phase in slave mode)
which would allow an interesting scaling capabilities when combined
with HDFS.  (And not symmetrical replication, of course, i.e. dual
masters.)

What advantage do you see in storing lobs in HBase?

This are interesting topics to investigate.

Dag

--
Dag H. Wanvik, staff engineer
Sun Microsystems, Java Core and Desktop - Java DB/Derby