db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Pavel Bortnovskiy <PBortnovs...@Jefferies.com>
Subject Re: Case Sensitivity
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:06:29 GMT
Thank you, Mark and Peter, for your immediate help and explanation.

Mark Thornton <mthornton@optrak.co.uk>
03/24/2010 06:02 PM
Please respond to
"Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Case Sensitivity

Peter Ondru?ka wrote:
> Not that I know, this is by SQL standard.
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Pavel Bortnovskiy
> <PBortnovskiy@jefferies.com <mailto:PBortnovskiy@jefferies.com>> wrote:
>

>     Thank you, Peter, for your prompt response. Is enclosing them in
>     quotes the only way to do so? Is there any setting which can be
>     applied to Derby (or a -Define), so that the quotes could be
omitted?

Databases like SQLServer that do preserve the case violate the standard
by ignoring the case of quoted identifiers. On a standard conforming
database, converting unquoted identifiers to upper case is unavoidable.

Mark Thornton

Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of this email,
including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which
it was addressed. If you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward, disclose
or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. This email may be produced at
the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability
for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other than intended
recipients is prohibited.  In the United Kingdom, Jefferies operates as Jefferies International
Limited; registered in England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper Thames
Street, London EC4V 3BJ.  Jefferies International Limited is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.