db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jasvinder S. Bahra" <bbdl21...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Converting a value held in a VARCHAR column into an INTEGER
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:40:25 GMT
> The advantage of this approach is that you can put a useful index on
> integerPower and that might speed up your queries.

This *is* an enormous advantage, but I dont think I want to go down this
route because I would potentially have to perform some database maintenance
every time I want to insert any records.

I think, for the time being i'm going to try a custom function as per
Sylvain's suggestion.  If the speed of the queries is acceptable then i'll
stick with that technique.  On the other hand, if the query speed is too
slow, then i'll have to revisit *this* technique.

In any case, thanks again Rick.