db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby internally converts char for bit data to hex string
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:56:04 GMT
On 03/31/10 08:26 AM, Fedd Kraft wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When profiling an application I've noticed that sometimes when performing a
> simple query to one table without joins, like
>
> select kee from res where qid=? and kee=?
>
> it looks like Derby searching for a row makes a lot of comparisons by
> converting binary data to hex strings and then comparing them.
>
> And (here I am not sure) chooses to do a full scan. As the result, the whole
> thing works too slow.
>
> The table is defined like this.
>
> create table res(
>  qid char (16) for bit data not null,
>  kee char (32) for bit data not null,
>  dnk char (32) for bit data not null
> );
> create unique index res_unq on res (qid, kee, dnk);
> create index res_idx on res (qid, dnk);
> create index res_ix2 on res (qid, kee);
>
> It also looks like it does this hex string comparison when the table is
> quite big. And when it is quite small, call normal byte array comparison,
> and there is no 'fullscan' classes in the stack trace, and it works
> ultrafast.
>
> Sorry there no reproducing scripts yet ready; please tell me may be I just
> missing something. I thought that converting makes sense when we compare
> values of different types or which may be null, but mine is not that case
> (?)

Hi Fyodor,

Comparisons of binary data are supposed be performed byte-wise, without
converting the data to strings first, so if you can provide scripts or
code to reproduce this, please file a bug report here so that it can be
investigated: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY

You may first want to check that you're not using a debug build of
Derby, though, since it might be that the debug builds convert byte
arrays to hex strings to do some sanity checks. (If derby.jar contains a
class called SanityManager, it's a debug build.)

--
Knut Anders