db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Opening/Converting a Derby Embedded DB with the Derby Network Server
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:22:06 GMT
On 03/28/10 11:21 PM, [SAS] Justin Swall wrote:
> I have an LOB application that uses a Derby Embedded DB (Openbravo POS @
> sourceforge.net).  Their application does support using the network
> server however so I spent some time over my weekend running some tests
> with a copy of the app, installing the JDK & Derby and seeing if I can
> get it talking to the network server instead of the embedded server.  So
> far so good, I was able to get it to connect to the network server and
> create a new DB and it is now successfully working off the new DB.
>
> My question is I currently have a copy of the embedded DB files (the
> .script and .properties files).  How can I get the data out of this
> embedded DB and over into a DB that can be mounted with the Network
> Server?  Is there some way to just directly mount this existing DB in
> the network server or does it need to be converted?

Hi Justin,

The embedded database can be used as it is with no conversion. In fact,
the network server is just a thin layer on top of Derby's embedded driver.

So, if the full path to your existing db is, say, /var/derby/mydb, you
can start a network server with

java -Dderby.system.home=/var/derby -jar derbynet.jar start

and connect to the database with this URL:

jdbc:derby://localhost/mydb

Hope this helps,

--
Knut Anders