db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Deadlocked in Log2File
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:28:36 GMT
Charlie Hubbard <charlie.hubbard@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm sometimes getting deadlocks in Log2File where all my worker threads are
> getting blocked, but I can't figure out which monitor they are blocked on.
>  And, I can't seem to figure who holds a lock that would block them.  I notice
> there are several calls to wait(), but all the threads say BLOCKED not WAITING
> which makes me think they aren't stuck on wait() calls.  Anyway, once this
> happens everyone is blocked indefinitely.  I'm using Derby 10.5.3, JDK
> 1.6.0_10.  I've included the full thread dump from the JVM once it's stuck.
>  Any ideas what's going on here?

It looks like the threads are blocked in LogToFile.flush() either
because some other thread is already flushing the log (but I can't see
any other thread actually doing that in the thread dump) or because the
database is frozen. Perhaps a silly question, but does your application
by any chance call SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_FREEZE_DATABASE in some situations?

--
Knut Anders