db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Pavel Bortnovskiy <PBortnovs...@Jefferies.com>
Subject Re: Using NetworkServerControl to access in-memory (only) tables of Embedded Derby
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:00:35 GMT
Thank you for your prompt response, Bryan.

1) I will peruse the docs you recommended.

2) No, the m_done variable is not triggered in the app and the DerbyServer
thread seems to still be running, yet the server is unresponsive.
Is there the best recommended practice to wrap the NetworkServerControl
for proper functioning?

Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com>
02/05/2010 10:22 AM
Please respond to
"Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>

Derby Discussion <derby-user@db.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Using NetworkServerControl to access in-memory (only) tables of
Embedded Derby

> 1) how can actions of those connecting to the NetworkServerControl via
> JDBC be controled (for instance, limited to read only)?

Derby has a variety of access control facilities. Here's a good place to
start learning about them:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/cdevcsecuree.html

> But even with this thread, the server still stops (connection breaks) if

> the application's main threads get into a wait/sleep or hang.

It definitely sounds like something in your application is interfering
with the Derby processing, but it's hard to know what.

I noticed, however, that in the sample code that your posted, your
logic not only starts the network server, but also shuts it down.

Perhaps somehow the "m_done" variable is being set, and your code is
exiting the "while" loop and shutting the server down itself?

thanks,

bryan

Jefferies archives and monitors outgoing and incoming e-mail. The contents of this email,
including any attachments, are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which
it was addressed. If you are not the addressee of this email you may not copy, forward, disclose
or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. This email may be produced at
the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation. Jefferies accepts no liability
for any errors or omissions arising as a result of transmission. Use by other than intended
recipients is prohibited.  In the United Kingdom, Jefferies operates as Jefferies International
Limited; registered in England: no. 1978621; registered office: Vintners Place, 68 Upper Thames
Street, London EC4V 3BJ.  Jefferies International Limited is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.