db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dinesh Bajaj <dinesh.ba...@ymail.com>
Subject Re: 'ERROR 40XD0: Container has been closed.: java.io.IOException'.
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:04:06 GMT
Hi Donald,

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that I couldn't fully understood your reply. What could I understand, I tried
to translate that into action by setting the conn.setAutoCommit(false) of the connection object
before calling conn.preparedStatement(sql), and then calling calling conn.commit() after preparedStatement.executeUpdate(),
but the exception still occurs.

Could you suggest what code change(s) should I make to fix this?

Regards,
Dinesh

--- On Mon, 15/2/10, Donald McLean <dmclean62@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Donald McLean <dmclean62@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: 'ERROR 40XD0: Container has been closed.: java.io.IOException'.
To: "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>
Date: Monday, 15 February, 2010, 6:45 PM

When working with BLOBs and CLOBs, these sorts of errors are almost always caused by committed
transactions. Since most people don't expect to need a transaction
 for a select, more often than not autocommit is set to TRUE and the select commits as soon
as it is executed. While this is fine for everything else, it doesn't work for BLOB/CLOB fields.
A BLOB/CLOB is only valid inside a single transaction and the instant that transaction finished
(commit or rollback) the BLOB/CLOB goes poof.

Donald