db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Donald McLean <dmclea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 'ERROR 40XD0: Container has been closed.: java.io.IOException'.
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:15:50 GMT
When working with BLOBs and CLOBs, these sorts of errors are almost always
caused by committed transactions. Since most people don't expect to need a
transaction
 for a select, more often than not autocommit is set to TRUE and the select
commits as soon as it is executed. While this is fine for everything else,
it doesn't work for BLOB/CLOB fields. A BLOB/CLOB is only valid inside a
single transaction and the instant that transaction finished (commit or
rollback) the BLOB/CLOB goes poof.

Donald

--
Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that

Join the photo preservation advocacy Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=148274709288