db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: how to raise/throw an exception
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:24:40 GMT
Hi Gabriele,

Some comments inline...

Gabriele Kahlout wrote:
> Perhaps last question: how to pass as parameter also the table?

Here's a revised version of the procedure which takes the table and
column names as parameters:

    public static void vetRow( String tableName, String columnName, int
columnValue ) throws SQLException
    {
        Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:default:connection" );
        String query = "select count(*) from " + tableName +" where " +
columnName + " = ?";
        System.out.println( query );
        PreparedStatement ps = conn.prepareStatement( query );
        ps.setInt( 1, columnValue );
        ResultSet rs = ps.executeQuery();
        rs.next();
        int result = rs.getInt( 1 );

        rs.close();
        ps.close();

        if ( result >= 4 ) { throw new SQLException( "Too many copies of
some value." ); }
    }
}

and the corresponding script to exercise this procedure:

connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:dummy;create=true';

create table t( a int );

create procedure vetRow( in tableName varchar( 128 ), in columnName
varchar( 128 ), in arg int )
language java parameter style java reads sql data
external name 'z.vetRow';

create trigger t_trig
no cascade before insert on t
referencing new as newRow
for each row call vetRow( 'T', 'A', newRow.a );

insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );

-- fails
insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );

> Also, where can I look to understand why int a would be translated as
> the column a?
> This doesn't help: http://developers.sun.com/docs/javadb/10.5.3.0/ref/index.html

You will want to read the syntax descriptions for the CREATE PROCEDURE
and CREATE TRIGGER commands in that Reference Guide.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

> 2010/2/26, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com>:
>
>> Hi Gabriele,
>>
>> Here is a vetting procedure which the trigger could call:
>>
>>     public static void vetRow( int a ) throws SQLException
>>     {
>>         Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(
>> "jdbc:default:connection" );
>>         PreparedStatement ps = conn.prepareStatement( "select count(*)
>> from t where a = ?" );
>>         ps.setInt( 1, a );
>>         ResultSet rs = ps.executeQuery();
>>         rs.next();
>>         int result = rs.getInt( 1 );
>>
>>         rs.close();
>>         ps.close();
>>
>>         if ( result >= 4 ) { throw new SQLException( "Too many copies of
>> value " + a + " in t." ); }
>>     }
>>
>> And here again is the sql script which exercises the trigger. I had to
>> modify the trigger declaration slightly: instead of saying that it
>> "contains sql" this version says "reads sql data":
>>
>> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:dummy;create=true';
>>
>> create table t( a int );
>>
>> create procedure vetRow( in arg int )
>> language java parameter style java reads sql data
>> external name 'z.vetRow';
>>
>> create trigger t_trig
>> no cascade before insert on t
>> referencing new as newRow
>> for each row call vetRow( newRow.a );
>>
>> insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
>> insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
>> insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
>> insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
>>
>> -- fails
>> insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
>>
>> Depending on your usage pattern, it might make more sense to declare an
>> AFTER trigger which invokes a vetting procedure once per INSERT/UPDATE
>> rather than per row.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> -Rick
>>
>> Gabriele Kahlout wrote:
>>
>>> The procedure would run the sanity check query and raise an exception
>>> if the sanity check failed.
>>> Can you show me an example of how this exception could be thrown?
>>>
>>> About the user-coded function, how may I code what I asked for? A loop
>>> that counts for each distinct value it's occurences, and returns
>>> true/false if some count is greater than 5.

ON " +