db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jon Pearson <j...@emnico.com>
Subject Derby Maintenance Activities
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:19:45 GMT
Hi,
     we are currently using Derby 10.5.3.0  to store device inventory
data for a Network Management application where the data is collected
and uploaded regularly during the day so there are a significant number
of inserts/updates/deletes, depending on the number of devices being
managed, happening throughout the day.

Are there any guidelines or recommendations from user experience
relating to the optimum frequency of the following activities?

Statistics Update using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_UPDATE_STATISTICS()
Db Compression using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE()

Note: We are currently updating statistics daily while the system is up
and we are compressing the DB monthly using offline scripts

Thanks
Jon

--
Emnico Developing EmNOC for Managing IT Networks -www.emnico.com