db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: refresh JSP webpage when Derby DB is changed
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:49:26 GMT
Ronald Rudy wrote:
> This isn't really a Derby question, it's more of a web/Javascript question.
>
> There is no way to push data to a client.  The request always originates on the client.
>
> That said, IF you are so inclined you can use Ajax type calls to poll a servlet on the
server on a regular interval to check for updates.  It would still be polling, though.  Not
event-based.

Hi,

While the original request has to originate from the client, you don't
have to have the client poll on regular intervals - you can use
something like long poll or streaming to basically get an event-based
system. Note that this requires some software on the server side, and as
most things these techniques have their challenges.
Besides from the link already mentioned, you can have a look at
Atmosphere ( https://atmosphere.dev.java.net/ ) and maybe post a
question there or on a similer mailing list / forum.

Hope this helps,
--
Kristian
> I would look at prototype if you want to start leveraging Ajax.  http://www.prototypejs.org/
  It's a good place to start.

> I would be very careful about having JS continuously polling your server though.  If
you have lots of clients you will end up with lots of requests to handle.  That code has to
be very efficient.