db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Database storage overhead
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 19:30:13 GMT
> But that's assuming a "perfect" layout for the database.  I am
> wondering, how much overhead should I account for?

My feeling is: try it and see. It shouldn't take longer than a
few hours to construct a test program which manufactures semi-random
data along the profile that you anticipate. Then just generate that
data, store it into the db, and see how big it turns out to be.

You surely don't need all 1 million rows; a few thousand rows is
probably plenty to allow you to observe the overheads and extrapolate.

thanks,

bryan