db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Perhaps a stupid question
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:25:00 GMT
Hi Ron,

If what you need is a custom sort order for string data, you can plug in
your own custom collator. See Knut's blog for details on how to do this:
http://blogs.sun.com/kah/entry/user_defined_collation_in_apache

You can also use generated columns to build user-defined ordering. See
the following writeup for advice on how to do this:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Database/javadb_10_5/index.html#Generated_Columns

If these solutions don't work for you, tell us more about what you need.
We may be able to suggest another solution or at least capture your
requirements for a future enhancement.

Thanks,
-Rick

Ronald Rudy wrote:
> Is there any way programmatically or otherwise to specify a java.util.Comparator type
object to sort a specific column?  I realize this flies in the face of any SQL standard or
convention, but it would be really helpful to me at the moment :).  And since Derby is Java-based,
I was wondering if there might be something "non-standard" I could do to support it ....?

> My alternative is to create an additional column in my database that will give me the
sorting I want (as it would be given by a custom Comparator class) using standard varchar
sorting, but this isn't preferable.