db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Performance of in-place upgrade
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:45:24 GMT
The answer would of course depend on the level of the current db and the
level of the software you are moving to.

But as a general rule I would expect "soft" upgrades to almost take no
time at all, as the purpose of a soft upgrade is to not change anything
just allow new software to work on old dbs and allow the old software
also to work.  Since all this happens at boot time it is hard to tell
the difference between other boot time stuff the db might have to do
like recovery which is much harder to estimate as it depends on what
db was doing and how it was shut down.

So far I don't think even hard upgrades will take very much as I don't
think any derby release has had a hard upgrade that required any work at
upgrade
time on a per row/column basis.  Most hard upgrade work has had to do
with ddl, so is more dependent on number of ddl like tables, indexes,
statements, and the like.  This does not mean it won't happen in
the future, but it would be a last choice in my opinion.  In general we
have rather looked at supporting both new and old types rather than pay
a convert cost at upgrade time.

/mikem