db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Mueller <patrick.muel...@scheuring.ch>
Subject delete-connection SET NULL: two columns in one table referencing same column
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:08:13 GMT
Hi derby users!

In my database I want two columns referencing as FK to the same column
in another table(see below) using the delete connection SET NULL but it
just won't work.

ALTER TABLE HM_DESK ADD CONSTRAINT DESK_OWNER_FK FOREIGN KEY (IDF_OWNER)
REFERENCES HM_USER (ID_USER) ON DELETE SET NULL;
ALTER TABLE HM_DESK ADD CONSTRAINT DESK_LASTEDITEDBY_FK FOREIGN KEY
(IDF_LASTEDITEDBY) REFERENCES HM_USER (ID_USER) ON DELETE SET NULL;

--> results in a error when executing the second statement:

"Error: Foreign  Key 'DESK_LASTEDITEDBY_FK' is invalid because 'The
table cannot be defined as a dependent of table APP.HM_USER because of
delete rule restrictions. (The relationship causes the table to be
delete-connected to the indicated table through multiple relationships
and the delete rule of the existing relationship is SET NULL.).  '.
SQLState:  42915
ErrorCode: 30000"

if I am using 'ON DELETE CASCADE'  it works perfectly fine.. what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick M.